flag image

Ferguson sentenced for role in Dittmeyer murder

TREVOR FERGUSSON, the second of three men arrested in connection with the murder of Krista Dittmeyer, was sentenced to seven to 15 years after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery and hindering apprehension on June 12. (Courtesy photo)
June 14, 2012
OSSIPEE — The second of three men accused in the murder and burglary of 20-year-old Krista Dittmeyer bypassed the indictment and trial process and plead guilty on Tuesday, June 12, in Carroll County Superior Court in Ossipee.

Trevor Ferguson, 24, has been in jail for over a year, accused of providing a ride from Conway to Ossipee to convicted murderer Anthony Papile.

It was April 22, 2011 when prosecutors say Anthony Papile and Michael Petelis of Ossipee lured Dittmeyer to an apartment in Ossipee for the purpose of stealing money and drugs. Papile ambushed her as she made her way up the dark staircase, clubbing her on the head and dragging her into a laundry room. The pair then duct-taped her and put her in the trunk of her own car. Papile drove her car to Cranmore Ski Area and dumped her body in a snowmaking pond. He then left her car running and with the lights flashing with her toddler daughter inside. The car was discovered the next morning.

Ferguson pled guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery and hindering apprehension. Prosecutors say he went to the Ossipee apartment and drove with Petelis in his car to meet Papile at Cranmore and the three rode in Ferguson's car back to Ossipee. In exchange, Ferguson received a tank of gas for his car, some cash, as well as a small amount of marijuana and cocaine.

As the public awaited formal charges to be brought against the three men over the past year, there was much speculation as to whether or not Dittmeyer died from the head injuries she sustained when clubbed on the head or if she was alive when dumped in the pond. During the Papile and Ferguson court hearings, prosecutors revealed that when Papile dumped her body in the pond she was still alive. An autopsy revealed that she died from prolonged cold water submersion.

How long Ferguson remains in state prison is entirely up to him. For the conspiracy charge, he was sentenced to seven-and-a-half to 15 years in prison, with credit for the 397 days he has already served. If he is on good behavior and completes an associate's degree program, he could be out of prison in six years. He was sentenced to three-and-a-half to seven years on the hindering apprehension charge. He may never have to serve that sentence if he complies with the stipulations of the first sentence: instead it will be suspended for 10 years and his behavior once out of prison will determine whether or not it is brought forth again.

As of press time it is unknown if and when the third man, Petelis, will be charged in connection with Dittmeyer's death. He is currently in jail where he has been since May 2011, being held on a charge of conspiracy to commit robbery.

Garnett Hill
Salmon Press
Parker Village
Martin Lord Osman
Northern Human Services
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com