flag image

Wild Women split four tourney games

by Joshua Spaulding
Sports Editor - Granite State News, Carroll County Independent, Meredith News, Gilford Steamer, Winnisquam Echo, Plymouth Record-Enterprise and Baysider

MEGHAN SKIDMORE battles with the She-Wolves during action Sunday in Wolfeboro. Joshua Spaulding. (click for larger version)
March 26, 2012
WOLFEBORO — The Wild Women made the trek south to Wolfeboro this past weekend to take part in the annual Wolfeboro She-Wolves tournament.

The Wild Women played in the D division against the host She-Wolves, the Great Bay Riptides and the Maine Breakaways.

The Wild Women opened the tournament on Friday evening against the Breakaways.

The Breakaways came in quick, but keeper Carrie Smith was more than solid in the net, turning away a couple of quick scoring chances. The Wild Women didn't get much offensive pressure, but the defense held strong, with Joann Daly helping to lead the way. The Breakaways continued to pressure, but Smith earned her keep, turning away a couple of great scoring bids.

The Wild Women took a penalty with 2:21 to go in the period, but did a nice job killing it off, with Smith making a save to help keep the game scoreless.

Meghan Skidmore and Kerri Ceklarz finally got some great pressure at the offensive end, but the period closed out with neither team able to get on the board.

The Breakaways opened the second with some good pressure and it paid off, as they snuck a long shot through Smith for a 1-0 lead less than two minutes into the period.

After Smith made a number of solid saves over the next few minutes, the Breakaways got another one in, snapping home a shot top shelf from the circle for a 2-0 lead with 5:50 to go in the period.

The Wild Women took another penalty with 5:10 to go in the period, but again did a nice job killing off the penalty, with Skidmore getting a key clear and Smith turning away a couple of shots.

However, with 2:13 to play in the period, the Breakaways scored on a breakaway, fittingly enough, for a 3-0 lead, which they took to the third period.

Smith made a couple of nice saves to open the third period and Blair Farley and Kerry Carbone had good looks in the offensive zone. Ceklarz had a shot that was stopped by the Maine keeper.

Both teams had solid pressure in the final few minutes of the third period, as Smith turned away a number of chance and Farley and Carbone led the attack in the offensive end, but the game ended with Maine taking the 3-0 win.

The Wild Women bounced back well on Saturday morning, as they defeated the host She-Wolves by a 5-1 score.

Later in the day on Saturday, they took on the Riptides.

Both teams had the puck in the zone early in the game, but neither team was able to break through for the first three minutes.

However, with 3:30 gone in the game, the Riptides broke through the Wild Women defense and fired a shot past Smith for a 1-0 lead.

Carbone and Farley had good looks in the offensive zone, but they couldn't convert. The Riptides, meanwhile, bounced back with some great pressure, as they tested Smith with a couple of good shots. Smith held her ground and the period drew to a close with the Wild Women trailing by just the one goal.

The Wild Women opened the second period with some good pressure, with Ceklarz leading the way, but the Riptides bounced right back, slipping a shot through with 9:04 to go in the period for a 2-0 lead.

Farley and Carbone continued the offensive pressure in the zone, but they couldn't break through. Smith made a number of big saves down the stretch and the second period came to a close with the Wild Women trailing by a 2-0 score.

Smith stood on her head in the early portion of the third period, as she turned away shot after shot from the Riptides. The Wild Women didn't manage a lot of offensive pressure in the opening minutes, but Smith's play kept them in it.

However, with five minutes to go, the Riptides poked the puck out of a scrum in front of the net for a 3-0 lead.

Kathy and Blair Farley both had offensive chances as the clock ticked down in the final minutes, but the Riptides continued to hold strong and added a fourth tally with 55 seconds to go.

The Wild Women did manage to score one goal, as Blair Farley fired it home off a faceoff to finish the game with a 4-1 score in favor of the Riptides.

The final game of the tournament on Sunday was a rematch with the host She-Wolves and the Wild Women didn't waste much time getting on the board, as they scored just 2:16 into the game for a 1-0 lead.

The Wild Women defense would be the star early, as they held the She-Wolves from putting much through on the net. Smith easily handled everything that came her way. Skidmore and Blair Farley had scoring chances for the Wild Women, but they weren't able to capitalize.

Smith stole the show with a stop on a breakaway and moments later stopped another scoring bid, keeping the She-Wolves off the board.

With 16 seconds to go, Tessier lit the lamp to stretch the lead to 2-0 after one period of action.

The second period belonged to the Wild Women, as they tallied four goals in the 12 minutes.

After good pressure from Skidmore and Kathy Farley in the first few minutes, Blair Farley put the puck in the net for a 3-0 lead with just 2:08 gone in the period.

Carbone had a good look denied by She-Wolves keeper Val Murray and with 8:43 to go, the Wild Women went on the power play. Gloria Verrill had the best chance for the Wild Women on the power play, but the hosts did a nice job killing off the penalty.

With 6:26 to go in the game, Tessier fired the puck on the net and the rebound bounced out, where Blair Farley found it and tipped it in for a 4-0 lead.

Kathy Farley got on the scoreboard next, banking home a shot off Murray with 5:03 to go in the period for a 5-0 lead.

The Wild Women weren't done, as Verrill tallied with 4:09 to go to up the lead to 6-0.

The She-Wolves did manage to get one past Smith with 2:43 to go in the period, cutting the lead to 6-1. Smith made a couple saves in the final minutes to close out the period with the 6-1 score.

The Wild Women had plenty of chances in the third period, with Skidmore, Tessier and Lisa Gibson all getting good looks. At the other end, Smith held her ground with a number of solid saves. Kathy Farley also had a good offensive bid denied at the other end as the clock ticked down to the 6-1 win.

The Wild Women roster included Carrie Smith, Joann Daly, Kerri Ceklarz, Laurel Tessier, Lisa Gibson, Kerry Carbone, Meg Skidmore, Anne Getchell, Gloria Verrill, Kathy Farley and Blair Farley.

Joshua Spaulding can be reached at sportsgsn@salmonpress.com or 569-3126

Northern Lights
Town of Moultonbooro
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com