flag image

Plymouth Squirts upend Back Bay in finals

Teams played two terrific games during Seacoast Hockey League tournament

by Joshua Spaulding
Sports Editor - Granite State News, Carroll County Independent, Meredith News, Gilford Steamer, Winnisquam Echo, Plymouth Record-Enterprise and Baysider

The Plymouth Predators Squirt team poses with the championship plaque after winning the Seacoast Hockey League tournament on Sunday. Front row (l to r), Catriona Stewart, Avery Shedd, Tucker Shedd, Nick Therrien, Matt Nichols, Blake Dunlap. Zoe Lelas, Jevin Semertgakis. Back row (l to r), Emma Tryder, Violet Manson, Trevan Sanborn, Ian Tryder, Stephen Morrill, Serena Devlin. Coaches John Semertgakis, Jeff Therrien and Scott Shedd. Joshua Spaulding. (click for larger version)
March 19, 2012
DOVER — In a true show of respect after a fantastic final of the Seacoast Hockey League tournament, the Back Bay squad skated over to the gate at the edge of the ice and raised their sticks, forming an arch for the champion Plymouth Predators to skate under on their way off the ice.

It was a fitting ending to a fantastic tournament for both teams that saw the Predators capture the Seacoast Hockey League silver division championship with a 6-3 win over Back Bay in Dover on Sunday morning.

The two teams met up twice during the tournament, the first coming on Friday, March 16, at the Pop Whalen Arena in Wolfeboro and a little extra time was needed to settle the score.

Plymouth came out first, getting a number of early chances on Back Bay goalie Jason Ash. Tucker Shedd, Matthew Nichols, Ian Tryder and Nickolas Therrien had chances on the net, but couldn't put the puck in the net, though Back Bay's Logan Brown helped out his team by clearing the puck away from an open net after a rebound.

Reid Demain had Back Bay's first shot on the night, as he took the puck down the ice an put it on net, only to have Plymouth keeper Blake Dunlap turn it away. Demain and Nick Potenza had another chance for Back Bay but again Dunlap was up for the test.

Jenna Luby helped out on the defensive end of the ice with a nice clear and Demain and Kara Luby had chances at the other end but couldn't solve Dunlap.

Plymouth came battling back, getting the puck in the offensive zone, but they couldn't find a way through to goal and the Back Bay kids managed to turn things around with just 20 seconds left on the clock.

Demain took the puck down the ice and buried it behind Dunlap for a 1-0 lead as the period closed out.

The two teams exchanged chances early in the second period, with some solid looks at both end of the ice. Connor Stanley had a shot stopped by Dunlap and Emma Tryder did a nice job clearing a puck away from the defensive end.

Back Bay got the game's first power play with 7:20 to go in the second period, but Plymouth did a great job killing the penalty, with Stephen Morrill making an effective stop to kill off the penalty.

Plymouth bounced back with a number of good chances after the penalty kill, as Avery Shedd and Serena Devlin getting good looks in the offensive zone.

Brown closed out the period for Back Bay with a good look, but Dunlap made a nice glove save, finishing the period with a 1-0 lead for the Back Bay kids.

Again, both teams had chances to open the period, as Ian Tryder had a couple of good chances for Plymouth and Potenza and Demain had the Back Bay chances.

However, it was Plymouth that capitalized first, as the Predators tied the game with 9:21 to go in the game. Tucker Shedd made great moves through the Back Bay defense and fired a shot home for the 1-1 tie.

Back Bay took a penalty just 20 seconds later and Ian Tryder and Tucker Shedd had the good chances for the Predators on the power play, but Ash stood strong and kept his team tied and killed off the penalty.

Both teams went back and forth with chances after the penalty was over, with Potenza and Demain leading the way for Back Bay. Back Bay took another penalty with 5:02 to go in the game and Tucker Shedd had a nice chance denied by Ash. However, on his second chance, he buried a shot from the circle for a 2-1 lead with 4:09 to go in the game.

Plymouth kept on pushing, with Ian Tryder getting a nice look turned away by Ash, while Gavin Goodwin had a nice clear for Back Bay. The two teams kept battling back and forth, with Tucker Shedd, Devlin and Therrien getting chances for Plymouth, while Back Bay's best chance turned into the tying goal.

Demain, despite falling down, buried a puck in the net on an assist from Stanley for the tying goal with 45 seconds to play.

Back Bay took a penalty with 15 seconds to go and Plymouth went in right off the whistle and Ash made a huge save with two seconds on the clock to send the two teams to overtime.

In overtime, the teams play four-on-four for four minutes and Back Bay was down a player for the first 1:15 of the overtime. Demain had a nice shorthanded bid, firing one off the post and Back Bay killed off the penalty. Brown and Demain had more chances for the Back Bay squad and Plymouth had a bid turned away as the first overtime ended.

For the second overtime, the teams skated three-on-three for three minutes, but needed just 17 seconds, as Ash made a nice save, but Tucker Shedd buried the rebound on an assist from Ian Tryder to seal the win for the Predators, 3-2.

Plymouth returned to action on Saturday morning in Dover against Biddeford and the Predators had no trouble dispatching Biddeford, winning by a 7-3 score to advance to the division finals.

Tucker Shedd got Plymouth on the board first, scoring with 1:29 to go in the period and the Predators took that lead to the break.

They added three goals in the second period, the first coming with 5:46 to go, as Nichols put home a feed from Ian Tryder and Trevan Sanborn for a 2-0 lead. Just more than a minute later, it was Tucker Shedd scoring again for a 3-0 lead.

Biddeford came back to cut the lead to 3-1 with 3:42 to go in the seconds, but another goal from Tucker Shedd made it 4-1 heading to the final 12 minutes.

Therrien scored the first goal of the third period, putting one in the net with 6:24 to go for a 5-1 lead and less than a minute later, Jevin Semertgakis lit the lamp on a feed from Ian Tryder for a 6-1 lead. Ian Tryder then added another goal for a 7-1 lead with 3:42 to go. Biddeford added a goal with 1:19 to go and scored another with one second left to close out the 7-3 score.

The win put Plymouth in the finals and meant Back Bay had to play Biddeford for the chance to advance to the finals. The two teams squared off in Dover on Saturday afternoon.

Back Bay came out strong, putting a lot of great chances on the net, with Brown, Stanley, Kenneth April and Demain all getting great chances early on, but it was Biddeford that got on the scoreboard first, as the Sharks squeaked in a shot form the circle for a 1-0 lead.

Brown and Stanley had chances for the Back Bay kids but again it was Biddeford who got the advantage, firing a shot home with 3:12 to go for a 2-0 lead.

Back Bay fought back, however, just 23 seconds later, Demain fired home a shot from the circle to cut the lead to 2-1. Jillian Luby picked up the assist. The two teams had chances to close out the period, but the teams finished the period at 2-1.

Back Bay came out strong in the second period and tied the game just 1:18 into the period, as Demain and Brown crashed the net and Demain put home a rebound for the 2-2 tie.

Back Bay kept pressuring, with Potenza and Demain leading the way for Back Bay. With 7:26 to go, Demain again busted through the defense and buried the puck top shelf for a 3-2 lead.

Back Bay got a power play with 5:29 to go in the period, but Biddeford did a nice job killing off the penalty. Brown and Demain had chances for Back Bay after the power play, but the period closed out with the lead at 3-2 for Back Bay.

Biddeford came out strong in the third period, getting a number of solid chances, including one off the post, but with 7:44 to go, the Sharks tied the game at three.

Back Bay didn't wait long to tie the game, as Stanley snuck a shot through on an assist from Brown for a 4-3 lead. However, Biddeford answered right back, scoring on a breakaway with 6:07 to tie the game at four.

Ash made a nice save and Potenza did a good job stopping a breakaway as well and Back Bay capitalized, as Demain scored off the faceoff for a 5-4 lead with 3:06 to go in the game. Ash had a nice save and Potenza and Hailey Fuller did a nice job on defense to close out the game and Back Bay had a 5-4 win and advanced to the finals.

The finals featured another great matchup between Back Bav and Plymouth, with neither team getting a significant advantage until the final few minutes.

Both teams came out early with some chances, as Emma Tryder and Tucker Shedd had chances for Plymouth, while Demain had a couple good chances for Back Bay.

Ian Tryder went end-to-end for a good chance for Plymouth, while Emma Tryder had a nice defensive play. Ian Tryder had another great chance and the offense picked up with good plays in front of Ash, who turned away everything that came his way.

Brown had a great chance for Back Bay, as he fired a shot on net, but Dunlap made a nice save as the clock ticked down to the final minute.

With 33 seconds to go in the period, Therrien fired home a shot on an assist from Avery Shedd to give Plymouth a 1-0 lead heading to the second period.

After Plymouth controlled play early in the second, with Tucker Shedd and Violet Manson getting looks and Ash turning them away, Back Bay rebounded with the tying goal with 7:32 to go on a shorthanded tally, as Demain took the puck at the red line, skated into the zone and buried it in the net.

Plymouth answered right back, as Ian Tryder scored off a faceoff just eight seconds later, burying it top shelf for a 2-1 lead.

The two teams went back and forth, with Brown getting a look for Back Bay and Therrien getting a look for Plymouth.

With 5:26 to go in the period, Brown fired a shot in from the blue line for the tying goal.

Back Bay did a nice job of killing off a penalty, with Demain even getting a shorthanded bid, but Plymouth came back with a few chances, as Trevor Shedd, Catriona Stewart and the rest of the Predators getting a couple of good chances, with Ash shutting the door.

However, with 28 seconds to go, Ian Tryder finished off a faceoff to the goalie's right, burying it in the net for a 3-2 lead for Plymouth after two periods.

Demain and Kara Luby had early chances for Back Bay and Tucker Shedd answered for Plymouth, but it was Demain who found the net first, as he fired home a shot with 9:31 to play to tie the game at three.

Plymouth answered less than a minute and a half later, putting home a shot from the boards for a 4-3 lead.

Demain and Kara Luby had chances again, but the two teams went back and forth and Ash and Dunlap both had good stops in the goal.

Plymout got itself some insurance with 2:44 to go, as Tucker Shedd put the puck in and Ian Tryder added another tally with 1:49 to go in the game for the 6-3 lead and they hung on for the 6-3 win.

Back Bay's roster included Kenneth April, Jason Ash, Logan Brown, Reid Demain, Hailey Fuller, Gavin Goodwin, Jenna Luby, Jillian Luby, Kara Luby, Nicholas Potenza and Connor Stanley. The team is coached by Jeff Luby, Greg Bowen and Mike Potenza.

The Plymouth roster includes Serena Devlin, Blake Dunlap, Zoe Lelas, Violet Manson, Stephen Morrill, Matthew Nichols, Trevan Sanborn, Jevin Semertgakis, Avery Shedd, Tucker Shedd, Catriona Stewart, Nickolas Therrien, Emma Tryder, Ian Tryder and John Ulricson. The team is coached by John Semertgakis, Scott Shedd and Jeff Therrien.

Joshua Spaulding can be reached at sportsgsn@salmonpress.com or 569-3126

Town of Moultonbooro
Northern Lights
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com