flag image

Offense explodes for five goals as Gilford blanks Somersworth

The Eagles were victorious in the battle of unbeatens

Gilford senior Vinnie Sisti shields off a Somersworth defender during the Eagles’ 5-0 win last week. Jeff Lajoie. (click for larger version)
October 17, 2011
GILFORD – While the anticipation level was high, the Gilford High School boys' soccer team took the drama right out of the game in the second half, as the Golden Eagles scored four times after halftime to pull away for a convincing 5-0 win on Oct. 12 in a battle of unbeatens with visiting Somersworth High School.

"We knew it was going to be a big game so we came ready to play and we brought it to them," said Gilford forward Dan Dormody, who scored two goals on the afternoon. "(The win is) going to make people scared and that's what we're looking for."

Somersworth entered with an 11-0-1 record, as the Hilltoppers lone tie came against Newfound Regional, a team that also tied Gilford earlier in the season. The Golden Eagles came in 10-0-2, so expectations were high that it was a potential playoff preview.

It looked that way in the first half, as Gilford created more scoring chances but failed to capitalize until the 23rd minute. Freshman Tim Ryan was taken down from behind in the penalty area, settling up a penalty kick in a scoreless game. Sweeper Tyler Grant took the PK and converted, beating Somersworth goalkeeper Matt Robbins for the 1-0 Gilford lead.

The Eagles looked like they would double that lead right before halftime, as Jackson Hillsgrove ripped a low, skipping shot on net with just over a minute left. But Robbins made a diving stop, and while Ryan was there on the doorstep for the rebound, the goalkeeper smothered it, keeping the 'Toppers within a goal at intermission.

"I told the kids at halftime, 'If only we had that goal," Gilford coach Dave Pinkham said. "He made a phenomenal save."

While Somersworth hoped some momentum from the stop would carry over into the second half, Gilford had other ideas. Just 32 seconds into the second frame, Bryce Quigley went nearly 70 yards down the right side, beating two defenders in the process, and served a great ball into the box. Ryan was in front for a header that clanked off the back post, but Chris Medlin followed with a rebound into the open net to give the Eagles a 2-0 lead in the blink of an eye.

"I thought we picked up the intensity level in the second half, stopped making some silly mistakes," said Pinkham. "What we wanted to do in the first half that we weren't able to do was get the ball outside. Once we were able to do that in the second half, it really allowed us to score some goals and some pretty ones."

Gilford was far from finished however, as Chris Dormody found brother Dan Dormody in front of the net with 14:44 left, and Dan Dormody finished it off to push the lead to 3-0.

"We felt good about that, that's the first time that's happened," said Dan of the goal and assist from the duo.

Dan Dormody scored his second goal just five minutes later, as he headed in a rebound off a nice shot from Nick Riendeau to make it 4-0. Grant scored his second goal of the day – and second penalty kick – with 9:07 remaining to finish off the scoring and give the Eagles the 5-0 win.

"Somersworth is a very good team but we just got things going in the second half," said Pinkham. "Great win for the kids, great confidence boost for these kids. We'll enjoy it, now it's a matter of getting ready for the rest of our schedule. I'm certainly pleased with where this team is now."

Salmon Press
Martin Lord Osman
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com