flag image
Joyce Endee

Offense strikes early as Gilford beats Windham, 12-5

Alex Boucher rips a shot as he checked by a Windham player during Gilford’s 12-5 win on May 9 at Gilford Meadows. Jeff Lajoie. (click for larger version)
May 16, 2011
GILFORD – A barrage of goals gave the Gilford High School boys' lacrosse team a significant cushion on May 9, as the Golden Eagles jumped out to an 11-0 lead and cruised to a 12-5 win over Windham at Gilford Meadows.

"We played pretty well," said Gilford coach Dan Kallmerten. "Most of our goals came on unsettled situations and I'd like to see us work on set plays but we got out to a nice lead and were able to play a lot of JV kids in the fourth quarter."

Senior Alex Boucher, who finished with three goals on the afternoon, got the scoring started just 1:12 into the first quarter, when freshman Tre Galligan made a nice feed in front of the net while taking a hit. Boucher snagged the pass in front of Windham goalie Jeff Trovato and buried it for the 1-0 Gilford lead.

Steven Hickey, Christian St. Cyr and Andy Upton all scored goals in the first quarter, as the Eagles took advantage of a Windham team that struggled to string passes together early on. As a result, Gilford dominated time of possession and scoring chances.

"We weren't really too sure about what kind of team Windham was because we hadn't seen them before," said Upton. "We just tried to come out strong and possess so that we could score some early goals."

The lead grew to 7-0 at halftime, thanks to second quarter goals from Boucher, Hickey and Upton. Sophomore goalie Brett Hanson got the start in net with starting keeper Norm Harris getting the day off, and he took advantage with a pair of nice saves just before intermission.

"We feel real confident with Brett in net," said Kallmerten. "I have no qualms about putting him in there; he's shown a lot of potential."

Boucher finished off the hat trick with a tally just 38 seconds into the third quarter, while Brendan Murphy made it 9-0 just 13 seconds later. Forrest Aldridge and St. Cyr pushed the lead to 11-0 before Windham finally got on the board with 5:23 left in the period. Galligan closed out the third with a goal as Gilford led 12-1.

Colby Larsen, who scored Windham's goal in the third, tallied three more times in the fourth as the visitors closed to the 12-5 final.

The win came just four days after a heartbreaking 6-5 loss to Hollis/Brookline, who had just one loss on its season entering the game. Gilford led 5-3 with five minutes remaining but three goals down the stretch completed the comeback victory.

"We were wondering how we matched up with the better teams and that game really showed us we can compete with the best," Kallmerten said. "They're a well-coached, deep and athletic team but I thought we dominated a large portion of the game. The kids were upset to lose that game but I think it gives us confidence going forward."

Upton agreed.

"I think it gave us more of a feeling of where we're at because Hollis/Brookline is one of the better teams in this division," the midfielder said.

While the loss was a tough one to swallow, Kallmerten was happy with how his team bounced back against Windham.

"We didn't know anything about them coming in but they've got a lot of talent," Kallmerten said. "For us, I was worried about the potential for a trap game but we went out and played well."

Martin Lord & Osman
Salmon Press
Varney Smith
Garnett HIll
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com