flag image
Joyce Endee

Wild Women skate away with two wins in Wolfeboro

KAREN DORIA works her way around a Riptide player during action Friday in Wolfeboro. Joshua Spaulding. (click for larger version)
March 28, 2011
WOLFEBORO — The Wild Women of Conway had a busy weekend, taking part in the annual She-Wolves tournament in Wolfeboro.

The Wild Women opened the tournament on Friday night against the Great Bay Riptides and things didn't go well out of the gate, as the Riptides were able to slip one past keeper Carrie Smith just 1:57 into the game, taking an early 1-0 lead.

Karen Doria, Kim Proulx and Kerri Deangalis couldn't quite find the back of the net and Michell Jarvie just missed connecting with Doria on a good bid as the Wild Women fought to get on the board.

They took a penalty with 6:49 to play and Smith made a nice save right away on the power play. Deangalis broke in shorthanded but couldn't put the puck away and the Wild Women had a solid penalty kill.

The momentum from the penalty kill paid off with 3:37 to go, as Jarvie put a shot on net from the side and it found its way into the goal to tie the game at one.

Doria, Molly Sherman and Rachel Trudell made bids but were denied and the Riptides had a couple bids soar wide in the final minutes of the period, closing out the frame with a 1-1 tie.

Both teams had the puck in the zone early, but neither team was able to generate a lot of pressure. Christine Sheehan, Kelly Rayen and Jarvie had bids for the Wild Women, but they didn't find their way through.

Another penalty put the Wild Women down a player with 6:18 to go, but Sherman and Trudell did a good job with shorthanded pressure and Smith turned away a shot as the penalty was killed off.

Doria took the puck from end-to-end but couldn't put it in the net and then sent another shot wide as the period closed down with the two teams still tied at one.

Just 34 seconds into the second period, the Wild Women found the back of the net, as Deangalis ripped home a shot on an assist from Missy Amaral, giving the Wild Women a 2-1 lead.

The Riptides came back strong, forcing Smith to make a number of sprawling saves and she more than held her own through the attacks.

However, with 5:22 to go, the Riptide pressure finally got through and they tied the game at two.

The Wild Women didn't back down, as less than two minutes later, Trudell broke into the zone and ripped a shot home for a 3-2 lead. Doria got the assist.

The Wild Women continued to pressure, but they couldn't find the net again and the Riptides did, firing one by Smith with 2:18 to play in the game, closing out the scoring in a 3-3 tie.

The team returned to action on Saturday afternoon against the Muddy Puckers out of Brattleboro, Vt. and the visitors got on the board quickly, putting one past Smith just 14 seconds into the game for a quick 1-0 lead.

However, the Wild Women quickly turned that goal into a lot of pressure in the other direction, with Deangalis, Proulx, Doria and Trudell all pestering the Pucker goalie and eventually the pressure paid off.

With 4:57 to play, Sheehan and Amaral broke in on net and Sheehan tucked the puck home for the tying goal.

That opened the gates for the Wild Women, a just 41 seconds later, Deangalis carried the puck all the way down the ice and put it home for a 2-1 lead, with Sheehan getting the assist.

Just two minutes later, Trudell made a great pass to Doria in the offensive zone and Doria drilled the puck home for a 3-1 lead with 2:14 to go in the period.

The Wild Women continued to pressure and picked up another goal, as Kellie Higginbotham rifled a slap shot home with 1:09 to play in the period. Amaral got the assist and the period ended with the Wild Women up 4-1.

Just one minute into the second period, Trudell made it 5-1, as her shot bounced through and into the net.

The Puckers got a bit of pressure on Smith, but she turned away their best bids and the Wild Women continued to control the flow, with Sheehan, Proulx, Doria, Sherman and Rayen all getting great scoring chances.

Jarvie had a nice bid denied on a big save and Julie Vallieres and Trudell also had shots stopped. The Wild Women had plenty of chances to open the game up even more, but they were stopped for the rest of the second period and took a 5-1 lead to the final frame.

Smith made a couple of saves early in the third and another penalty didn't hurt the Wild Women, as Doria made a shorthanded bid and the team killed off the penalty.

With 5:57 to go, Trudell lit the lamp to make it 6-1 and less than a minute later, Sherman pushed home the puck during a flurry in front for a 7-1 lead, with Sheehan getting the assist with 5:18 to go.

The Wild Women added one more goal, as Jarvie netted the team's eighth with 2:41 to play, as Proulx picked up the assist to round out the scoring and an 8-1 win.

The ladies played early on Sunday and dropped a tough 4-3 decision to the Riptides. They returned to action later that afternoon for their final game, a tilt with the Angels of Rochester.

The game was a tight battle throughout most of the 36 minutes, with the two teams exchanging chances.

Smith made a couple of solid saves early in the game and Doria, Trudell and Rayen all had bids at the other end of the ice but were turned away.

Though the two goaltenders stopped everything for the first 10 minutes of play, the Angels got on the board first with 2:36 to play, as nifty passing paid off with the game's first goal.

Doria and Trudell continued the offensive pressure for the Wild Women and Doria hit Rayen with a nice pass right in front of the open net, but the Wild Women couldn't convert and the period ended with the Angels leading 1-0.

The Valley ladies killed off a penalty to start the second period, with Joanne Daly getting a couple of nice clears. Trudell, Rayen and Doria turned the pressure back on after the power play and Sherman joined the charge as well. Smith made a couple of big saves to keep her team close and the defensive stand paid off at the offensive end of the ice.

With 5:30 to play in the period, Trudell made a nice pass to Sherman, who buried the puck to tie the game at one.

About two and a half minutes later, the Wild Women took their first lead of the game, as Jarvie blasted a shot from the circle for a 2-1 lead.

Trudell, Doria and Sherman pressured in the final minutes, but the period ended with the Wild Women clinging to the 2-1 lead.

The MWV ladies came out charged up in the third period, with Jarvie, Doria, Trudell and company pressuring hard to open the period.

The Angels finally got things going with some pressure of their own, but Smith was able to make a number of big saves to keep her team in the lead.

However, with 4:19 to play, the Angels tied the game at two and threatened for more. Smith was able to hold her ground after the goal and the Wild Women came back strong.

Doria lit the lamp with 2:01 to play on an assist from Higginbotham and just 15 seconds later, Doria scored again to up the lead to 4-2. Amaral added a final tally with just 59 seconds on the clock to secure the 5-2 win. Sheehan got the assist.

The five goals were the first five goals the Angels had given up the entire tournament. The Angels, Wild Women and Riptides all finished tied for the top spot and the first tie-breaker was goals allowed, which gave the Angels the tournament championship.

The Wild Women roster consists of Carrie Smith, Julie Vallieres, Michell Jarvie, Christine Sheehan, Kelly Rayen, Kerri O'Neil, Kerry Brady, Kim Proulx, Kerri Deangalis, Joann Daly, Kellie Higginbotham, Karen Doria, Rachel Trudell and Molly Sherman.

Martin Lord Osman
Martin Lord & Osman
Salmon Press
Varney Smith
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com