flag image

Back on track

Prospect hoop boys end four-game losing streak with win over Newfound

LOGAN ROBERTS reaches in to try and grab a rebound in action against Newfound on Jan. 14. Joshua Spaulding. (click for larger version)
January 17, 2011
ALTON — After a four-game losing streak that saw them fall below .500 for the first time in the season, the Prospect Mountain basketball boys bounced back with a hard-fought 45-41 win over Newfound on Friday, Jan. 14.

"We knew we were coming through a tough stretch of games," coach Rob Carpenter noted of his team's losing streak. "We gave some good teams some good games, but we didn't have enough.

"We knew we needed this game," he added.

In the end, it was a strong second half that did it for the Timber Wolves, as they grabbed the much-needed win.

The Bears opened the scoring with a three-pointer and Austin Perrin answered with a bucket to cut the lead to one. The visitors got a three-point play to push the lead to four, but a steal and hoop from Pat Cassidy pulled the Timber Wolves back to a two-point deficit. The Bears then hit two free throws to push the lead to 8-4.

A steal and hoop from Zack Drouin cut the lead to two, but the Bears sunk a three-pointer to jump to a five-point lead.

Cassidy drilled a field goal and Drouin hit a three-pointer as the clock ticked under one minute to play in the first quarter, tying the game at 11.

Ben Couch then drilled Prospect's second three-pointer in as many possessions, giving the Timber Wolves a 14-11 lead after one quarter.

Drouin converted a Couch steal to push the lead to 16-11 to open the second quarter, but a Newfound three-pointer cut the lead to three. A rebound and hoop for Cassidy again pushed the lead to four, but a Bear hoop brought them back to within two points.

Drouin hit a hoop to make it 20-16, but the Bears got a three-pointer and a free throw down the stretch to close out the half and send the teams to the break with the score knotted at 20.

Prospect came out of the gate in the second half and scored the first six points, jumping out to a quick lead. Cassidy, Logan Roberts and Anthony Frangione got the hoops for the Timber Wolves before Newfound finally got on the board.

Jay Mousseau hit a bucket and Roberts hit a free throw, stretching the lead to 29-22. The Bears hit for two, but a tip-in by Cassidy and a three-pointer by Drouin pushed the lead to 34-24. Newfound got a pair from the foul line, but Drouin answered by finishing off a Cassidy steal to push the lead back to 10. The visitors got the final points of the quarter and trailed 36-28 heading to the final eight minutes.

Newfound cut the lead to 36-30 to open the fourth quarter, but Drouin hit a hoop to push the lead back to eight. The Bears then hit two more field goals, cutting the lead to 38-34. An Ethan Henderson basket and a free throw from Perrin pushed Prospect's lead to 41-34.

After a Newfound free throw, Frangione hit two from the charity stripe to make it 45-35. The Bears hit a three-pointer with 1:13 to play to cut the lead to 43-38, but Drouin got Prospect another hoop to make it 45-38. Newfound scored the game's final points on a three-pointer with 20 seconds on the clock but couldn't get any closer.

"The kids came out and ran the offense in the second half," Carpenter said. "And we got some easy baskets."

He noted that the first half was a bit of a struggle for the Timber Wolves in running the offense and he was happy to see them make the halftime adjustment.

"We weren't doing a good job of executing the offense in the first half," he said. "We were trying to force things a little bit.

"In the second half we were a little more patient and waited for opportunities to come to us," Carpenter continued. "And then we converted them."

He pointed out that the Timber Wolves were mostly able to keep the Bears to one opportunity each trip down the key thanks in part to solid rebounding.

Drouin finished with 18 points to lead all scorers. Cassidy added 10 to the tally.

The Timber Wolves struggled out of the gate against a strong Bow team on Tuesday, Jan. 11, and ended up taking a 50-31 loss to the Falcons.

The hosts outscored Prospect by a 16-4 tally in the first quarter and the Timber Wolves found themselves down 26-6 early in the second quarter.

The visitors made a strong 16-1 run and cut the lead to 27-22 early in the third quarter.

However, the Falcons began putting on a bit more pressure in the third quarter and the Timber Wolves couldn't quite handle it as the game wore on.

"They're a pretty physical team and the put some pressure," Carpenter said. "Over the course of the game we couldn't handle it."

However, the Timber Wolf coach was pleased his boys were able to keep the game in striking distance for a good portion of the contest and knows that if a few shots fall a different way, it's a different game.

Drouin had seven points to lead the Timber Wolves and Frangione added five.

The boys will be in action on the road on Friday, Jan. 21, at 7 p.m. at Campbell. On Tuesday, Jan. 24, they head to Meredith to take on Inter-Lakes at 6:30 p.m.

Salmon Press
Martin Lord Osman
Town of Barnsted
Littleon Food Coop
Littleon Food Coop
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com