flag image

Soccer boys notch two more victories

NICK BACHELDER stretches to boot the ball away from an onrushing Somersworth player during action on Sept. 7. Kathy Sutherland. (click for larger version)
September 13, 2010
ALTON — The Prospect Mountain boys' soccer team bounced back from a couple of tough beginnings to record a pair of big wins last week to keep its undefeated record in place.

The Timber Wolves traveled to Belmont on Thursday, Sept. 9, for a meeting with the Red Raiders and the hosts controlled play for much of the first half.

The Timber Wolves did score just a couple minutes into the game, as Jake Biscoe put home a feed from Zack Drouin for a 1-0 lead.

The hosts came back and tied the game and really took it to the Timber Wolves in the first half.

"In the first half, they were beating us to the 50-50 balls and we weren't controlling at midfield as much," coach Bubba Noyes noted. "Spencer (Goossens, the team's keeper) kept us in it with a couple of really nice saves."

After Goossens kept the Timber Wolves in the contest for the remainder of the first half, which finished in a 1-1 tie, the Timber Wolves came out fired up in the second half and easily took care of business.

Jesse Brown fed Ben Couch for the go-ahead goal early in the second half and the Timber Wolves added two more tallies to take the 4-1 win.

Biscoe took a feed from Couch for the third goal and Anthony Frangione drilled home a penalty kick for the final tally of the night.

"Our passing was definitely much better in the second half," Noyes said. "We beat them to the 50-50 balls and marked up on defense."

He praised Jake Rochette for his solid work in the midfield.

"Different people are stepping up in different games," Noyes said. "They're distributing the ball well. They're really unselfish."

Prospect opened the week with a big 4-3 victory over Somersworth, a win that required almost nine extra minutes of play before the Timber Wolves took the win.

With 1:20 to go in the extra frame, Jake Troy took the ball down the right side and made a great pass to Drouin, who drilled the ball to the back of the net for the game-winning goal, capping off an exciting afternoon of soccer in Alton.

The Timber Wolves struck quickly in the contest, as Troy fired one into the net off a corner kick from Frangione just three minutes into the game.

However, the 'Toppers scored the next two goals and grabbed a 2-1 lead heading to halftime, the first time this season that the Timber Wolves trailed at the break.

It took just a few minutes into the second half for the deficit to disappear, as Troy found Drouin for their first connection of the game and a 2-2 tie.

With seven minutes to go, Biscoe gave the Timber Wolves a 3-2 lead, but the 'Toppers tied the game in the final minutes on a shot that hit the crossbar and bounced straight down. The referee ruled that the ball went in the goal and the game was tied at three and heading to extra time, where Drouin sent everyone home.

"Obviously it was a well-played match by both teams," Noyes said. "We were pretty evenly matched."

The veteran coach praised Goossens for a couple of great saves in the first half that kept the game close and was also pleased with his team's ability to earn corner kicks, as they were awarded 12 to Somersworth's five.

"Everyone played well," Noyes said, adding that backs Greg Tinkham and Brown and midfielders Frangione and Couch earned special recognition for their play.

He also came away impressed with the Somersworth squad that he expects to see around until the end.

"I don't think you'll see them have too many losses," Noyes noted.

The Prospect boys will be in action on Friday, Sept. 17, when they head to Gilford for a 4 p.m. game with the rival Golden Eagles. On Wednesday, Sept. 22, the boys will host Franklin at 4 p.m.

Martin Lord Osman
Martin Lord & Osman
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com