flag image

One dead, two injured after stabbing in Meredith

June 09, 2010
MEREDITH — Police are investigating a stabbing on Lake Street that has left one man dead and two others injured.

Attorney General Michael A. Delaney, State Police Colonel Robert Quinn and Meredith Police Chief Kevin Morrow announced in a statement that an investigation is ongoing into a homicide that occurred on 16 Lake Street early Sunday morning.

According to the statement, Meredith Police responded to an incident at a residence at 16 Lake Street after midnight. One man was found dead inside the building and two others were injured.

The Attorney General's Office identified the deceased as Robert A. Hart, Jr., 47, of Meredith.

Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Thomas A. Andrew completed an autopsy on Hart Monday and determined that the cause of his death was multiple stab wounds to the chest, and the manner of his death is homicide.

The AG's Office said one man was treated and released on Sunday. The other is in stable condition and remains hospitalized.

According to the statement, authorities believe several other people were involved in the incident,

The New Hampshire State Police and Meredith Police Department are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the incident.

Dan Carter of 15 Lake Street said he was on his deck with friend Kevin Shea and Shea's wife watching a concert online. Carter said around 12:45 a.m. he started hearing yelling outside.

"I heard what sounded like someone saying 'Mom' over and over again," Carter said.

Carter said he came inside and walked over to the window to investigate.

"Someone is yelling for help, someone needs our help," Carter said.

Carter said he and Shea went into the driveway and saw a car drive up Lake Street. The female driver stopped and Carter said she was the voice he heard calling for "Bob." Carter said the woman was hysterical and talking frantically about an attack involving people being tied up, a kidnapping, and a stabbing.

Carter said Shea called 911 and both him and Shea tried to calm the woman down.

"I didn't know whether to believe her or not, I assumed she was under the influence," Carter said.

Carter said a State Police cruiser flew up Lake Street a few minutes later. He said he looked inside the woman's car and said he saw blood all over the back seat.

"I was like, 'Oh my God, this was real," Carter said.

Soon after, Carter said he saw around 12 police officers on Lake Street, more than half of them State Police.

Around five minutes later, Carter said, he saw police bringing a woman out of the building in handcuffs. Shortly after that, Carter said a police officer came down from upstairs saying "Male victim upstairs, top floor."

"As soon as he said that the paramedics ran in," Carter said. "In our minds we're thinking 'He's not going to make it.' It's at least been half an hour."

On Monday morning, Carter said he saw police working with members of the Public Works Department looking through drains. He took a video in one location and said he saw a knife being pulled from one storm drain outside the building around 11:30 a.m.

"It's unfortunate that someone lost their life here in town with the violence surrounding it," Carter said. "Someone might not have a dad or a brother or a son. It's easy to get caught up in the drama."

Carter said he still considers the neighborhood to be safe.

"There are good people and bad people everywhere," he said. "You have to be the one to surround yourself with people who are going to bring it to a more positive place."

For most of Monday, half of Lake Street was closed off with police tape, and police were examining the building and the surrounding area.

Authorities say there is no threat to the general public because of this incident, and it was an isolated incident.

After speaking with the Attorney General's Office, Town Manager Phil Warren relayed this same message to the Meredith Board of Selectmen during their meeting on Monday.

"This was not a random event, there's no reason for any resident in the town of Meredith to be at a heightened state of fear," Warren said. "While tragic, it was an event that was limited to certain people."

Warren thanked the Meredith Police Department as well as the Attorney General's Office, the New Hampshire State Police, and the Belknap County Sheriff's Office.

Varney Smith Lumber
Garnett Hill
Garnett Hill
Martin Lord Osman
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com