Dow Academy reunion July 2
June 02, 2010
FRANCONIA—In early July there will be a multi-class reunion of graduates of the former Dow Academy in Franconia.
The former students will gather together throughout the day July 2, starting at Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill and moving onto the Gazebo at Dow Field, almost within the shadow of the school they once attended.
The school building that housed the Academy—and is today condos—was built in 1903. It was the second school building for the Academy, which was founded in 1884 by Moses A. Dow. He left $100,000 to a group of trustees to start an academy so that the children of Franconia could have an education that would allow them to go to college.
The original Dow Academy was set on five acres of land, affording ample room for playgrounds. Students boarded at the academy. Fire destroyed the original building Dec. 27, 1902 and the trustees elected to rebuild the school soon after the fire. In March of 1958, the trustees voted to close the Dow Academy. High school students were transferred to Littleton until Profile School was built. Elementary students were transferred to Lafayette School in Franconia.
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Several former students, including Kay Whitcomb and Guy Harriman, a former student who left the area and recently returned after 50 years, are organizing the reunion.
"We're trying to keep the Dow Academy tradition alive," Harriman said.
The event is the day before Franconia Old Home Day so participants are expecting a big turnout. Already 56 people have signed up for the evening dinner at the Horse and Hound and organizers expected many more during the day.
For more information, contact Whitcomb, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Harriman at 301-908-1052.