flag image

Bears place second in opening track meet

Newfound’s Charissa Plummer builds up an early lead during the 1600-meter run at last week’s season opening meet. Matt Perloff. (click for larger version)
April 15, 2010
BRISTOL — Mother Nature didn't provide much cooperation as the Newfound Regional High School track and field teams tried to get their season underway, but held out long enough for the Bears to kick off with a four-team meet last Wednesday, taking runner-up in both the boys and girls competitions.

What started off as a sunny day quickly deteriorated into dark skies and threats of rain as Newfound hosted Kennett, Sanborn and Woodsville for the season opener.

The Bears picked up three victories on the boys side. Senior Zac Morel picked up an easy victory in the 1600-meter run, his time of four minutes, 56 seconds putting him across the finish line 14 seconds ahead of the rest of the field. Junior Jake Lundberg would also score in the event, taking fifth. Morel would also add a second-place finish in the 3200, while junior Sean Coleman took fourth and freshman Josh Adjutant placed fifth.

Newfound also dominated the 800-meter run, taking the top three spots. Senior Dustin Sewall was first in with a time of 2:10.71, beating out junior Tyler Parker by just over half a second. Senior Derek Mitchell was also right in the thick of the action, finishing less than a second behind Parker to take third place.

In the relays, Newfound put out two teams for both races. The A team picked up a win in the 4x400-meter relay, beating Kennett by over three seconds with a time of 3:45.52, and also took runner-up in a narrow 4x100 battle, finishing less than a second behind Kennett and just a tenth of a second ahead of Sanborn.

Newfound had several more notable finishes. Senior Riley Smith and freshman Brendan Adair took second and third place in the 110-meter high hurdles, then finished third and fourth in the 300-meter intermediates. Freshman Jesse Mitchell added a fifth place finish in the 100-meter dash, while junior Mike Bruning took fifth in the 400. Kerry Mattson scored in the only field event of the afternoon, placing fourth in the high jump.

Kennett won the meet easily with 80 points, though Newfound had no trouble locking up the runner-up spot, scoring 53. Sanborn was third with 22, while Woodsville finished with 10.

The Newfound girls would have similar success as the boys, winning the same three events. Junior Abby Erler cruised to a win in the 800-meter run, winning the race with a time of 2:41.75. Junior Charissa Plummer took runner-up in the event with a time of 2:55.1, but she would turn in a dominant performance of her own in the 1600, opening with a big lead over the field before clocking in at 6:14, good for a five-second victory in the event.

In the relays, Newfound's 4x400-meter quartet had no trouble topping Kennett, winning by over 13 seconds with a time of 4:39.33. The Bears also fielded two 4x100 squads, the A team taking third.

Newfound earned a number of additional third place finishes, including Meaghan Lavin in the 100-meter dash and Allison Dorey in the 300-meter intermediate hurdles. Sandra Rorvick led a trio of Bears in the 400-meter dash as she, Katie Dorey and Victoria Markiewicz placed third through fifth, while Jen Green, Katie Dorey and Rebecca Ingram took third through fifth in the high jump. Victoria Spencer added a fifth place finish in the 100-meter high hurdles, while Hallie Geldermann scored in the 3200-meter run.

A narrower battle in the team scores this time, Kennett still came out on top with 64, but Newfound was able to edge out Sanborn for second place, 47-45. Woodsville finished the afternoon with four points.

With a strong turnout on both sides this season, the Newfound track teams will look to build on their season-opening performance as the meets expand to a full schedule of events, as well as take on more of their competition in Class M-S. The Bears traveled to Gilford for a meet on Tuesday, but will be home again Saturday for the annual Corneliusen Relays, which finally returned to action last year after a two-year absence due to weather. Should Mother Nature cooperate, the action is expected to begin at 10 a.m.

Garnett Hill
Martin Lord Osman
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com