Fire destroys Whitefield home
November 11, 2009
WHITEFIELD — A Whitefield family has been displaced after fire ripped through their home at 9 Nutting Road early Sunday morning. The three residents of the home, the two adults and a teenager, were all transported to Weeks Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns. As of Monday, all three had been released.
The property, owned by Aaron Collins, suffered significant damage and is not currently livable according to Whitefield Fire Chief Jay Watkins. Crews were called out at 1 a.m. on Sunday morning and arrived to find "there was heavy fire coming from the back right side of the house, " Chief Watkins said.
He noted it took about 6 hours, from 1 a.m. to 7 a.m., to completely put out the blaze. Volunteer crews from Dalton, Jefferson, Lancaster, and Twin Mountain departments also responded to help. Groveton provided the ambulance that brought the home's occupants to the hospital in Lancaster.
The family is currently living with relatives and is receiving some food and clothing assistance from the American Red Cross. The Friends and Neighbors Thrift store in Whitefield has also offered assistance. The property is insured.