flag image

Bobcats bounce Eagles from Division IV tourney

TANNER BAILLARGEON carries the ball up the field for Kennett against Plymouth Saturday afternoon. Joshua Spaulding. (click for larger version)
November 07, 2009
PLYMOUTH — A promising start turned to a tough afternoon for the Kennett football team, as the top-seeded and undefeated Plymouth Bobcats handed the Eagles a 28-14 defeat in the Division IV semifinals.

The Eagles forced a Plymouth fumble on the opening kickoff return, giving the visitors a first and 10 on the 15-yard line, but the Bobcat defense was more than stout and held the Eagles. The hosts them marched down the field and ate up six minutes and took a 6-0 lead.

The Eagles answered quickly, however, as they needed just six plays to take the ball back to the other end zone after a Matt Gadomski return gave the Eagles the ball near midfield. Logan Spoor carried in from 17 yards out for the touchdown, then booted the extra point to make it 7-6 with 3:36 to play in the first quarter.

The Bobcats used the rest of the first quarter and the first two minutes of the second quarter to march down the field and put the ball in for a 14-7 lead, a lead they would never relinquish.

Plymouth scored again with 1:47 to play in the first half and took the 21-7 lead into the break.

The Eagles fumbled the opening kickoff return in the second half and Plymouth responded to take a 28-7 lead with 9:27 to play in the third quarter.

Kennett got back in the end zone with 6:04 to play in the contest, as Mike Larson made a leaping grab of a Scott Saunders pass to make it 28-14. The Eagles would get no closer in what would be coach Ken Sciacca's final game. The Eagle mentor for the last two years, an assistant for two years before that and a longtime coach in the southern portion of the state and northern Massachusetts, is retiring.

Look for a full story and more photos in the Nov. 12 edition.

Martin Lord & Osman
Salmon Press
Town of Alexandria
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com