flag image

Soccer boys get revenge on Sanborn

JAMIE FRAILE corrals a ball during action against Farmington on Sept. 15. Joshua Spaulding. (click for larger version)
September 22, 2009
ALTON — For the holdovers from last year's Prospect Mountain boys' soccer team, Saturday's win was especially sweet.

For everyone else, it was simply the first road win of the year and the start to a road trip that won't end until Oct. 2.

The Timber Wolves scored four goals in the second half to knock off Sanborn 5-1, getting a little retribution on the Indians, who knocked the Prospect boys out of the playoffs last season.

The Prospect boys struck first, as Tony Ungarelli buried a feed from Jake Rochette just 20 minutes into the game, giving the visitors a 1-0 lead at their opponents' Homecoming contest.

That lead held up through the remainder of the first half, as the Timber Wolves held the slim 1-0 advantage at the break.

The visitors came right out in the second half and scored two more goals, with Jake Troy netting the first on an assist from Anthony Frangione, while Zack Drouin netted the second, with Troy picking up the assist, giving the Timber Wolves a 3-0 lead.

However, Sanborn answered back with a pair of tallies to cut the Prospect lead to 3-2, but the Timber Wolves weren't done yet.

Erik Aldrich gave the Prospect boys the two-goal lead again and Greg Tinkham finished off the scoring by burying a penalty shot.

"You bet we wanted to beat them," coach Gary Noyes Sr. noted. "They're not quite as strong as last year, but it's still nice to beat them."

Scott Kanash got the nod in net for the Timber Wolves and turned away a couple of good scoring chances by the Indians.

Backs Tinkham, Ryan Soucie, Jesse Brown and Nick Bachelder all earned Noyes' praise for a solid game on the defensive side of the ball.

The Timber Wolves opened the week with a big 7-0 win over Farmington on Tuesday, Sept. 15, the team's final home game of the month of September.

The hosts came out of the gate on fire against the Tigers, as Frangione, Aldrich and Rochette all moved the ball quickly down the field in hopes of putting one in the net.

However, it was Drouin who got the Timber Wolves on the board first, just three minutes into the contest. On a corner kick, Brown headed the ball off the cross bar and it bounced back toward Drouin and the sophomore booted it home for the 1-o lead.

Prospect continued to pressure, with Drouin, Aldrich, Ungarelli and Brian Jones all have scoring chances.

The Tigers did come back with a bit of offensive pressure, but Brown and Ben Couch stood their ground on one attack and another Farmington shot soared high over keeper Spencer Goossens and the net.

Fifteen minutes in the Timber Wolves were able to double the lead, as Frangione banged a shot off the post following a corner kick, making it 2-0. Couch picked up the assist.

Ungarelli, Aldrich, Drouin, Jake Briscoe, Jiri Dahlgren and Jamie Fraile continued to work the ball down in the offensive zone and it paid off with 8:15 to go when Drouin sent a ball to the corner of the net and freshman Ethan Henderson put it home for his first varsity goal and a 3-0 Prospect lead.

Goossens wasn't tested too much, but the Timber Wolf keeper was able to turn away the attempts the Tigers mustered throughout the first half.

Prospect upped the lead to 4-0 with less than five minutes to play in the half, as Henderson beat Farmington keeper Ryan Gibbs to the ball and put it in the net for his second tally of the game.

Fraile, Frangione and Aldrich kept up the offensive pressure in the final few minutes and Bachelder made a solid defensive play to help keep the Tigers from moving the ball in too close to the goal.

The second half started much the same as the first half, as the Timber Wolves kept the offensive pressure on, with Aldrich and Frangione making scoring bids, while Ungarelli, Fraile and Biscoe just missed connections on a good scoring chance.

Fraile had a couple more chances, one that was deflected wide and another that was saved by the Tiger keeper.

Scott Kanash, who took over in net for the Timber Wolves in the second half, made a couple of solid saves and the Tigers had one shot soar wide as well.

The Tigers had a few more opportunities, but Kanash held his ground and made a nice save on a direct kick.

Ungarelli and Frangione continued to pressure the goal and with 12:30 to play, Frangione finished off a feed from Aldrich for a 5-0 lead.

A minute and a half later, Aldrich netted his own goal, as he waited for the goalie to commit and drilled a shot to the back of the net for the 6-0 lead.

Two minutes later the lead went to 7-0 when Frangione and Troy fed Aldrich and he drilled it home.

The Timber Wolves pulled back on the offense the rest of the way, working on the passing game and held things at 7-0 for the remainder of the contest.

"That's what I was looking to accomplish, lots of good passing," said Noyes. "In a closer game you need that kind of play."

The veteran coach praised Henderson's work for his first two varsity goals and also commended Aldrich for his quality tallies in the second half.

The Timber Wolves continue the long and winding road journey with a trip to Winnisquam on Saturday, Sept. 26, for an 11 a.m. game and will play at Somersworth on Tuesday, Sept. 29, at 4 p.m.

Martin Lord & Osman
Varney Smith
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com