flag image

Promotion to Captain for Lefebvre

Upcoming public hearings on possible Transportation Enhancement Grant

Stephen Lefebvre in sworn with his new rank of Captain at the Plymouth Selectmen’s Meeting on Monday night. Marcia Morris. (click for larger version)
August 13, 2009
PLYMOUTH — A sea of blue uniforms, and many green (Plymouth State University) uniforms turned out in force at the Plymouth Selectmen's meeting Monday night as the police officers celebrated the promotion of their popular colleague, Stephen Lefebvre, to the rank of captain with the Plymouth Police Department, and the part-time appointment of the newest Plymouth State University police officer, John Guarnieri.

In his remarks, Plymouth Police Chief Steve Temperino had the highest praise for Captain Lefebvre. "For the past two years, as a Lieutenant, Steve has effectively managed some of the major components of the Plymouth Police Department and strategically assisted in our re-organizational efforts," said Chief Temperino. "Steve's leadership, his role modeling, his examples have all greatly contributed to the organization that the Plymouth Police Department is today."

Captain Lefebvre has been with the Plymouth Police Department for over 14 years, serving as a patrol officer for the first six years, while holding the position of Field Training Officer. He was promoted through the ranks and has served as Lieutenant for the last two years.

In 1997 he received the Town of Plymouth's highest honor and was named Employee of the Year. "It is clear that Steve's easy going style, coupled with his professional training have left a favorable impression on not only his subordinates but also his colleagues and the greater community," said Chief Temperino.

Captain Lefebvre's wife, Eden, parents and other family members were in attendance to celebrate both his promotion and his birthday Monday evening.

Plymouth State University Director of Public Safety Creig Doyle introduced John Guarnieri, saying that he as a former part-time employee, he is very familiar with the Town of Plymouth and the University community. He will fill a position that has been vacant for almost a year and will be primarily responsible for parking enforcement. He began the New Hampshire Part-Time Police Academy in Littleton this past Saturday and will graduate in November. "The interview panel was very impressed with the fact that John has a very calm demeanor. That is really important when you are working in the parking department where you are apt to make a few people angry," said Doyle. "We are really happy to have him on board."

In other business, the board heard from Town Planner, Miriam Bader, who informed them about two upcoming public hearings on a potential Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Transportation Enhancement Grant Proposal for road and sidewalk improvements along South Main Street, Green Street and the Highland Street extension (running between Anderson's Bakery and the Senior Center). Ms. Bader said that the improvements detailed in the proposal included infrastructure projects deemed most needed in a recent study, in order to make the downtown area safer, and more efficient. There is State Transportation reimbursement funding potentially available for 80 percent of the project, with the Town contributing the remaining 20 percent of the funds. The process is very competitive and the deadline for application is September 15. Ms. Bader said she is looking for direction from the board about whether to proceed with the transportation grant proposal at this time.

There will be a hearing on the proposal before the Plymouth Planning Board on August 20, and another hearing before the Plymouth Board of Selectmen on August 24, at 6:30 p.m. in Town Hall.

The board also announced the selection of four members of the non-profit review committee for the upcoming year. They are John Roy, Julie Bernier from Plymouth State University, Janet Moorhead and John Randlett.

The next meeting of the Plymouth Board of Selectmen will take place on Monday August 24, at 6 p.m. in the Town Hall. A work review session will be held prior to the meeting beginning at 5 p.m.

Pierce Camp
Martin Lord & Osman
Brewster Academy
Varney Smith
Frasier enterprises
Brewster Academy
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com