flag image

Lakers score late to best Bears

by Joshua Spaulding
Sports Editor - Granite State News, Carroll County Independent, Meredith News, Gilford Steamer, Winnisquam Echo, Plymouth Record-Enterprise and Baysider

Nick Brothers plunges into the end zone for the winning touchdown Saturday in Bristol. Joshua Spaulding. (click for larger version)
September 30, 2013
BRISTOL — The Inter-Lakes-Moultonborough football team has some experience at rallying for wins.

In the opening game of the season, the Lakers scored on the final play of the game and added the two-point conversion with no time left to pull out a win over Franklin.

On Saturday in Bristol, they didn't need quite as much time.

After a missed field goal was waved off due to a Newfound penalty, Nick Brothers plunged into the end zone with 1:16 to go in the game and the defense held on to give the Lakers a 19-14 win over Newfound.

The Brothers touchdown was the lone scoring in the second half, as the Bears led the Lakers by a 14-13 score at the break.

The Lakers got on the board first, as Devante Carter capped off the first drive of the game with a touchdown and the Lakers had a 7-0 lead.

The Bears answered, scoring on a 36-yard run from their quarterback and then added the two-point conversion with 2:48 to go, giving the hosts the 8-7 lead in their first home game of the season.

Both teams were forced to punt on their ensuing drive, with Nick Galietta getting a big hit for the Lakers on defense and the first quarter came to a close with the score still 8-7 in favor of Newfound.

The Lakers were able to eat up more than seven minutes of clock in the second quarter, as they drove down the field. Carter led the way, picking up the first three chunks, with Malik Carter following him up with a pair of runs. Quarterback Kier Vicente also picked up a pair of key first downs on the ground, including a fourth down conversion that got the Lakers to the four yard line.

From there, Devante Carter pushed his way into the end zone for a 13-8 lead with 4:48 to go in the first half. The Lakers went for a fake field goal, but couldn't convert.

A big sack from Chris DeBiase and Brandan Blackey led to a Newfound punt on the next possession, but the Lakers turned the ball over on downs to give Newfound another chance.

The Bears took advantage, with a quarterback sneak into the end zone with 17 seconds to go in the half. The two-point conversion was no good, but Newfound led 14-13 heading to halftime.

The Lakers forced a punt on Newfound's first possession of the second half and then put together a nice long drive, with both Carters carrying the ball down the field, getting the team to the 10 yard line. However, a couple of Newfound sacks, a penalty and a couple stuffs on runs stopped the drive at the five and Newfound had the ball back.

The Bears came close to converting on fourth down on the next drive, but came up just short, but they also forced the Lakers to punt away on their next possession. Newfound closed out the third and started the fourth on a drive. However, Brothers was strong on defense and Blackey had a big sack to help the Lakers get the ball back.

ILMA was unable to get a first down on their next drive and again punted away. However, Newfound managed just one first down and also punted away on the next drive.

After sitting out for most of the second half, Vicente returned under center for what would be ILMA's final drive. He found Kodey Converse with an eight-yard pass to open the drive and on third and two, Malik Carter broke loose to the outside for a big gain and a penalty put the Lakers on the 10 yard line. Brothers got the ball to the three, but the Bears were in the backfield on the next play, knocking the Lakers back to the 15. A penalty knocked it back further. The Lakers appeared to have a touchdown on the next play, however, as Vicente ran to the end zone, but the play was called back on a penalty and the next play resulted in an incomplete pass, setting up fourth and goal at the 11.

The Lakers lined up for a field goal and the kick went well wide to the right. However, a roughing the kicker penalty gave the Lakers new life, putting them at the six with a new set of downs.

Brothers needed just one play to get in to give the Lakers the 19-14 lead.

The defense then stepped up, with DeBiase getting in fro a sack on the first play and Devante Carter making a stop on a screen pass on third down. An incomplete pass ended the Newfound drive and the Lakers took a knee to run out the clock.

Joshua Spaulding can be reached at 569-3126 or sportsgsn@salmonpress.com

PArkerVillager Internal Page
Thanks for visiting SalmonPress.com