Metrocast3

Gilford Historical Society celebrates Old Home Day Aug. 23



GHS_OHD
shadow
Kathy Salanitro and her two teams of oxen will be at the Rowe House following the Gilford Old Home Day parade on Saturday, Aug. 23. Come and make friends with Dale, Max, Jake, and Chip. (Courtesy Photo) (click for larger version)
August 19, 2014
Gilford's three historical buildings will be open from 9 a.m. to noon for tours during Old Home Day. All are invited to visit them before the parade and afterwards.

The 1857 Grange (located at 8 Belknap Mountain Rd., at the beginning of the parade route) will be open. In the Homestead Room, see for yourself what an early settler's one room home might have looked like; the Store has items that might have been sold, plus an interesting assortment of early tools and a printing press.

At the 1834 Meetinghouse (located at 24 Belknap Mt. Rd., across from the entrance to the Village Field), there are many items that pertain to the history of Gilford, such as an early ballot voting box, wreaths made of human hair, and early school desks.

For many years, it has been a tradition for Kathy Salanitro of Ox-K farm in Gilford to take part in the parade and then have her two teams of oxen at the 1838 Rowe House (beside the elementary school) for all to pet and even try leading them. This year, she will be there for approximately an hour after the parade. There will also be a pictorial display showing the steps that Mrs. Alting's second grade class and Mrs. Bryant's fourth grade class took as they created bricks that now line the herb garden that was originally created by Mrs. Oeller's second grade class a few years ago. Stop and admire the gardens that are maintained be members of the Opechee Garden Club. As part of a fund-raising drive to raise money to make some repairs and renovations to the Rowe House, there will be a few collectibles for sale in the ell.

On Old Home Day, stop by any or all of Gilford's three historical buildings that are on the parade route and see what life was like in the early 1800's.

Thanks for visiting NewHampshireLakesAndMountains.com