FIREFIGHTERS from several area departments were able to quickly extinguish a fire at a Freedom home April 14, keeping the damage to a corner of the porch. (Mellisa Seamans photo) (click for larger version)
April 17, 2014FREEDOM — Quick and skilled response from firefighters here and from departments around the region kept a potential disaster from occurring at a home on Old Portland Road April 14.
The emergency call came in at 10:24 p.m. with a male caller reporting smoke and flames were visible and he believed the home's attic was on fire at 145 Old Portland Road.
The first alarm emergency tone was put out, calling in firefighters from Freedom, Center Ossipee, West Ossipee, and Ossipee Corner to the scene with fire crews from Tamworth, Tuftonboro, and Effingham called to cover vacated stations.
Freedom crews arrived first at the scene and were able to quickly douse visible flames at the front porch roof area. While some crews checked throughout the house to be sure the flames hadn't spread, others were focused on the porch area, peeling away some siding and trim and continually checking for hot spots with a thermal imaging camera.
A man and woman who live at the home were able to safely evacuate themselves, their daughters and the family dog without injury.
Fire crews were at the scene and Old Portland Road remained closed for about two hours. As of press time, the fire is being ruled accidental and possibly caused by an unattended candle on the front porch.