Albany man dies in collision with tractor-trailer

MICHAEL SARGENT, 43, of Albany died in a collision between his pickup truck and a tractor-trailer driven by Randy Fogg, at the intersection of Ossipee Lake Road and Route 41 at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 20. (Mellisa Seamans photo) (click for larger version)
November 27, 2013
TAMWORTH — An Albany man was killed Nov. 20 when he apparently drove a pickup truck into the path of a tractor-trailer at the intersection of Ossipee Lake Road and Route 41.

According to a press release issued by Carroll County Sheriff's Department, the driver of the pickup truck, Michael Sargent, 43, was pronounced dead at the scene. The accident remains under investigation by the sheriff's department and speed and alcohol have not been rules out as factors that may have contributed to the crash.

Randy Fogg, the driver of the tractor-trailer, was making his final stops of the day, delivering for Brockway-Smith. Fogg, who is a longtime driver for that company based out of Portland, Maine, was not injured in the crash, though visibly shaken. Sargent's vehicle struck the side of Fogg's truck and sent the big rig into a spin, sending the jackknifed rig off the road.

There is a stop sign at the intersection and it appears that Sargent may have tried to stop, as evidenced by several feet of tire marks in the road leading right onto Route 41 to the collision point.

Several emergency agencies responded to the accident that occurred at about 2:30 p.m. including Tamworth and West Ossipee fire departments and police from the sheriff's department, Madison, Freedom, Ossipee, and N.H. State Police.

According to dispatch records, a crew from North Conway Ambulance was on the scene within minutes and initially called to check on the availability of a helicopter from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Reportedly, rather than waste any time, first arriving crews used a pry bar from the tractor-trailer to force the door of the pickup open to remove Sargent from the vehicle to allow them to render care to him. Despite their efforts, Sargent was pronounced dead at the scene.

As police worked to complete their investigation at the scene, they also worked to verify Sargent's identity as he had no identification on him at the time of the crash and the vehicle was registered to someone else. The dispatch records indicate Sargent had the vehicle because he was working on it for the owner, Joseph Gentile.

Several school busses, on their afternoon routes, as well as general traffic had to be re-routed as the intersection remained closed for about three hours.

Thanks for visiting